While we too are concerned about the potential spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus), we would like to assure you that we are open and we are doing what we can to limit exposure to protect our staff, our clients, and our patients.
We appreciate your help in keeping everyone safe by staying home if you have any symptoms, have had exposure to someone with symptoms, or have recently been overseas. If you are compromised and your pet needs to be seen by Dr. Pema, please have a family member or friend bring him/her to see us and Dr. Pema can speak with you over the phone during the exam.
Some of our new policies include:
- For everyone’s safety, we are now offering Curb Side Service – please contact us (call or text 240-715-6570) from your car when you arrive and one of our technicians will bring your pet into the clinic for the exam. Also, let us know in advance if you need any prescriptions filled or any retail products so we can have them ready. Following the exam, the receptionist will inform you of the total and collect your payment information, for now we would like to forgo getting a signature. The technician will return your pet, any prescriptions or retail products, and your receipt to you upon completion.
- Refilling prescriptions: when you call in for a refill we can either send it to you via USPS (we will discount our shipping fees) or we can fill it and have it available for you the next business day. If you are picking your prescription up here, we will follow the same Curb Side Service protocol and take payment over the phone and bring your items out to you.
- For purchasing retail items, please call ahead with your list, provide your payment information, and plan to pick it up the next business day. We will follow the same Curb Side Service protocol and take payment over the phone and bring your items out to you.
- Fewer hours: we will close at 6 pm on Mondays and Wednesdays and beginning March 23rd we will not have veterinary appointments on Tuesdays and Thursdays, someone will be answering the phones and checking emails and Dr. Pema will respond as needed.
- Jessica, one of our receptionists who is grooming here on Tuesdays, will follow the same Curb Side Service protocols. For a grooming appointment, call her directly at 202-492-4137.
We will also be performing the recommended prevention measures, such as:
- Any employee exhibiting symptoms of any illness will stay home
- Increased frequency of hand washing
- Cleaning and disinfecting common area surfaces multiple times per day, including door handles
- Diffusing Young Living Thieves essential oil.
We are doing what we can to stay healthy and strong and thus prevent contraction by eating whole foods that support our immune systems, reducing stress in our lives, and getting plenty of rest. It is our hope that you are doing the same.
Caring for our pets during this pandemic:
Currently it does not appear that COVID-19 can be spread by companion animals, per the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO). However, it’s always a good idea to wash your hands before and after caring for your pet.
The CDC does recommend that those who are sick with COVID-19 limit contact with their pets, other animals, and people. They recommend that you have someone else in your household care for your pets if possible. If that is not possible, wear a face mask, wash hands, and limit the amount of close contact such as petting, snuggling, being kissed or licked, and sharing food. American Veterinary Medical Association
Thank you for continuing to entrust us with the care of you beloved family companions.
Dr. Pema Mallu
At this time, it is incumbent upon us all to practice patience and perform random acts of kindness.